Greek Yogurt

I LOVE Greek yogurt. That's my confession. I'd eat it 3-4 times a day if it wasn't almost $1/cup. Hubs is NOT impressed with the price, but I need the protein because of the bypass, and I STRONGLY DISLIKE regular yogurt. It's just nasty, and also doesn't have enough protein anyway.

So I found this delightful blog about freezer meals (which I also want to spend some time learning to do- I've wanted to for years, and I've decided I just have to MAKE time to do it- the time will not be presenting itself any time soon). Anyway, the link to her blog is here: Freezer Meals for Us. Perusing through there I found her recipe and ideas for homemade yogurt. I knew you could make regular yogurt- but I'm ECSTATIC to find out you can make the Greek version as well!


Greek Yogurt

8 cups low fat milk

1 cup dry powdered milk

2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt


Add 1 cup dry powdered milk to 8 cups low fat milk in a saucepan on high heat.

Bring to almost a boil and then remove from heat. Cool the milk to 115° degrees F and then add 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt.

Pour into containers (any plastic or glass container will work.) Cover the containers with foil or they will form a film on the top.

Place in the crockpot for 5 hours on warm. My crockpot maintains a temp of 115°-118° F. A yogurt maker would keep it at 115°, so I’m going with the crockpot. Do not bump or open the crockpot while the yogurt is incubating. When finished refrigerate. The you just serve with an added sweetener: Stevia, honey, fresh fruit, or pie filling (strawberry preserves….). You can also use the yogurt as a substitute for sour cream and to use as a base for dips. Yield: 8 cups

I’m so excited I can’t wait to try it!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monterey House Candy (Leche Quemada - Burnt Milk Fudge)

Higher Protein Lower Carb Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Angelia Style "Chicken Fundido"