My version of King Ranch Chicken

I have Nannie's original recipe which uses canned chicken and mushroom soups, and cheese Whiz. I always make my cream-of-soup though, and I use velveeta instead of Cheese Whiz. So here's my actual recipe that I made today. I think it taste at least as good as the original, though it may take more time? If you're in a hurry, or don't enjoy cooking as much as I do, you can substitute canned soups for the sauce I tell you how to make. I will include additional instructions below for how I would handle it if I use my usual ingredients with canned instead of homemade soup.

King Ranch Chicken
3-4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (or chicken pieces, or 1 whole chicken)
cream soup (recipe below)
1/2 bar velveeta cheese
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 large onion chopped

2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP flour
3 c water or milk
1 small can diced green chiles
1/2 c cheddar cheese

1 pkg corn tortillas tortillas

cheddar cheese to taste

First I boil my raw chicken with carrots, celery, onions, salt, pepper and 8-12 cups water. This makes broth, which I use for the tortillas in this dish and I save the rest for soup or something else.

Cool, de-bone (if you didn't use boneless) and save broth.

*Cream Cheese Sauce:
Melt butter in skillet on medium high-high. Whisk in the flour, until butter is absorbed. Turn flame to high, pour in liquid (milk or water) and keep whisking. I use a flat whisk, but a regular whisk will work the same. When it starts boiling and thickening, add 1/2 bar ov velveeta cheese and 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese and canned chiles; and keep whisking until cheese is melted and sauce is thick and smooth. Turn down heat to medium low. Add rotel and chopped onion to the sauce. Taste it. If you like it hotter, add more chiles or red pepper flakes or jalapenos.

Grease your 9x13 casserole dish. Soak corn tortillas one at a time in reserved chicken broth (use canned broth if you didn't have to boil your chicken). Place layer of tortillas in bottom of greased 9x13 casserole dish. Layer chicken, then sauce, then sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Repeat starting with tortillas, chicken, sauce, cheddar cheese. I make three layers. If you don't have corn tortillas, you can use corn chips.

Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes until bubbly and cooked through. Remove cover, add more cheese on top, and bake another 10 minutes or so. Enjoy!

*If you don't want to make homemade cream sauce: You can combine 1 can cream of mushroom + 1 can cream of chicken soups in a microwavable bowl if that's where you want to heat it up, or in a sauce pot for heating on the stove. Add can of rotel, chopped onion, canned chiles and 1/2 bar chopped velveeta cheese and heat in microwave (or on stove) until it's warm and velveeta is melted. Mix in cheddar cheese and start layering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monterey House Candy (Leche Quemada - Burnt Milk Fudge)

Higher Protein Lower Carb Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Angelia Style "Chicken Fundido"